Role of Governors
The Board of Governors provides strategic leadership and accountability for the school.
Its main functions are to;
- Play an important strategic role in our school. They are not expected to take detailed decisions about the day-to-day management of the school, but to support the staff in embedding the vision and ethos and help decide the strategic direction.
- Act as a “critical friend” of the school by providing the Headteacher and staff with support, advice and information and monitor and evaluate to school’s effectiveness.
- Ensure pupils learn most effectively and achieve the highest standards.
- Ensure accountability. The Board of Governors also hold the school to account with regards to pupil and staff performance and the school is accountable to parents, pupils, the community, the Diocese, Local Authority and Ofsted.
It is also responsible for many important decisions in the running of the school. These include:
- Appointing the Headteacher and Senior Leaders. Governors are also involved in the appointment of teaching staff as appropriate.
- Agreeing the aims of the school curriculum and ensuring the national curriculum is implemented.
- Oversee the financial performance of the school and determine how the school’s budget is to be used each year.
- Dealing with official complaints and exclusions.
- Additional responsibilities due to its status as a voluntary aided church school, including admissions process, school’s Christian ethos, religious education, development and maintenance of the school buildings.
Our school has a total of fourteen governors all of whom act in a voluntary capacity:
Chair of Governors
8 ‘Foundation’ governors
- The Incumbent (Vicar) of St Michael’s Church (ex-officio):
- 2 appointed by the Southwark Diocesan Board of Education:
- Sandra Jempson
- Beryl Fielder (Chair)
- 5 appointed by the PCC of St Michael’s Church:
- Anita Grande
- Louisa Miller
- Angela Farr
- Tilie Bentil-Mensah
- Peter Vennard
- 2 Staff governors:
- Headteacher (ex-officio) - Riana Gouws
- 1 Teacher - Richard Studd
- 1 Co-opted Governor: (Normally drawn from the staff )
- 2 Parent elected Governors:
- 1 Local Authority nominated Governor:,
Click here to download a copy of the Instrument of Government (pdf)
Click here to see full details of Governors, business interests, committee membership, roles and attendance at meetings in the last academic year.
Minutes from meetings of the Governing Body are a public record and can obtained from the Clerk or may be viewed in school - please ask the Business Manager. The minutes of the most recent meetings can be accessed below (please click on relevant date). Note that some minutes may be in draft and subject to amendment when presented for approval at the next Governors' meeting:
4 November 2019 (full)
19 September 2019 (full)
18 September (strategy and standards)
14 June 2019 (resources)
10 June 2019 (full - special FGB meeting)
29 April 2019 (full)
4 March 2019 (full)
15 October 2018 (full)
14 March 2019 (strategy and standards)
10 October 2018 (strategy and standards)
4 October 2018 (resources)